Carteret County Board of Education
(District 4 Seat)
708 Bay Street, Morehead City, NC 28557
Contact:† 252-515-0101, firstname.lastname@example.org
Family:† wife Mary Moran Day, daughters Dylan (West Carteret High School 10th grader) & Anderson (Morehead City Middle School 7th grader), parents Richard & Ellen Day, brothers Rusty & Kevin, grandparents Leslie & Mary Day (of Morehead...originally from Cedar Island) and Les & Mary Bercegeay (of Newport)...all long-time Carteret County residents.
Occupation:† Associate Professor of Strategy and
Entrepreneurship, Kenan-Flagler Business School Ė University of North Carolina
at Chapel Hill.† Also an Adjunct
Professor for the Gillings School of Public Health, UNC-Chapel Hill.
Education:† MBA from UNCís Kenan-Flagler Business School with a concentration in finance; Bachelor of Science in Business Administration from UNCís Kenan-Flagler Business School with a finance concentration and a minor in mathematical sciences/computer science; graduate of West Carteret High School (Carteret Countyís 1989 Morehead Scholar nominee); graduate of Morehead City Middle School and Camp Glenn Elementary (MES).
Other Involvements:† Morehead City Middle School Parent Advisory Council; Chairman of the Carteret County AIG Parent Advisory Council; AIG plan rewrite committee; former Chairman of Morehead Elementary School Parent Advisory Council (2 years); former Morehead City Primary School Parent Advisory Council member; WatchDog at MES and MCPS; Read Across America volunteer; EOG test proctor; 2012 ďDancing with Our StarsĒ winner (with my wife, raised $8,632 for the Carteret County chapter of Communities in Schools); Girls Youth Volleyball League Coach for Morehead City Parks & Rec; served on Kenan-Flagler Business Schoolís Undergraduate Program Committee (advised on business school curriculum & other program matters); First United Methodist Church finance committee (also served on Stewardship & Scholarship committees).
Why Iím Serving:†† My wife and I are both products of the
Carteret County Public School System. It was a wonderful experience and I
believe we owe a lot of our successes to the teachers and administrators of
this school system. I want to give back to the school system and to the people
of our county. I have always been extremely involved in the schools, but I want
to do more. I want to ensure our students maintain their competitive spirit and
our schools maintain their competitive edge. We should attempt to challenge
each and every student to their fullest potential.† We should strive to turn out graduates who
rival others throughout our state, our country and the world.
Why I feel Iím Suited for the Position: †
1) As a current college professor, I understand the value and principles of quality education.† (I have over twenty years of teaching experience at UNC; since 1997, I have taught close to 10,000 students from UNCís Business School, School of Public Health, and the rest of UNC.)
2) With multiple degrees in finance, I can guide the BOE to apply business principles in its decision-making concerning its multi-million dollar budget.
3) With two precious daughters currently attending the same schools my wife and I attended while growing up in Morehead, I have pride and a vested interest in Carteret Countyís Education System. I know how important education is for our childrenís success.
4) I am fiscally responsible Ė we owe it to our citizens to be frugal and wise with the tax dollars they provide for our schools.
5) I have a true passion for education and hope to use this passion to make a difference in our school system.†
I would appreciate your vote.
Letter to Editor on the move from valedictorian/salutatorian to the Latin Honors system.
Information about the school calendar can be found at
Information surrounding MaST Early College can be found at
(The below info was from the 2016 election.)
Do your homework as a voter!
I feel all voters should be informed voters.† Please compare bios and position statements of all Board of Education candidates using the Carteret County News-Times Election Guide:††
For Election Guides on other races in the 2016 Primaries (all in one convenient place), check out the following: